What is gastric sleeve surgery?
Sleeve gastrectomy involves removing part of the stomach to stimulate weight loss by limiting food intake. The surgeon removes about 75% of the stomach, which results in the stomach taking the shape of a tube that holds much less food.
The person usually loses 60% of the extra weight after the operation, especially with good commitment to regular exercise and good eating habits.
Sleeve gastrectomy is a permanent procedure that cannot be reversed, and does not depend on the presence of a foreign body inside the stomach, or rearrange the role of the intestine, as is the case in gastric bypass operations, and most patients find themselves able to eat all types of food, including meat and fibrous vegetables after Healing from the surgery.
Removing part of the stomach lowers the level of a body hormone called ghrelin, which is commonly referred to as the “hunger hormone.” Thus, many people find that they are less hungry after a gastrectomy. Ghrelin also plays a role in high blood sugar, so people with type 2 diabetes often see an immediate reduction in their need for diabetes medications (particularly oral medications) after gastrectomy.
Benefits of gastric sleeve surgery
- The operation leads to rapid and effective weight loss compared to other obesity surgeries.
- The hormonal changes after the operation help the patients to feel better.
- Eat less food.
- Improving the condition of diabetics.
- It does not require the placement of foreign objects in the stomach or the redirection of the food stream.
- It causes positive changes in gut hormones that suppress hunger, reduce appetite and improve satiety.
Gastric Sleeve surgery Requirements
- The gastric sleeve operation needs to follow the doctor’s nutritional instructions before undergoing it for a period that may include two weeks, including changes in the diet before undergoing it. Surgery, which will be necessary after the operation as well.
- This system is known before the operation as “liver shrinkage”. This reduction in the size of the liver makes surgery less difficult and faster, reducing postoperative complications.
- If the patient suffers from any diseases, he must undergo treatment before the operation to reduce the risks that may occur.
Sleeve gastrectomy procedures
- During the gastrectomy, the surgeon removes a large part of the stomach, creating a new banana-shaped stomach, which is the remaining part. And the stomach puts it The new one processes food faster, which creates an early feeling of fullness.
- Currently, the operation is usually performed laparoscopically using a few small incisions. The doctor uses narrow cylindrical tubes called trocars to access the cavity abdomen through a small incision in the upper abdominal wall. During the operation, the doctor inserts a viewing tube with a small camera (laparoscope) and other small tools into these small incisions to remove part of the stomach, The stomach is closed in the form of a tube which is left closed with nutrients.
- The duration of this procedure is approximately one hour. After the operation, the patient stays in the hospital for a period of one to three nights.
Diet after sleeve gastrectomy
Most patients return to work after two weeks.
Fatigue is usually common in the first two weeks due to the reduced calories from the liquid diet.
However, the majority of patients do not feel hungry during this phase of the diet.
Energy level improves rapidly after the introduction of a soft diet, which sometimes takes about two weeks after surgery.
After gastric sleeve surgery, the patient needs to follow a liquid diet for several weeks, followed by an increased ability to eat soft, moist foods.
It may take 4 to 6 weeks before he can start adding solid food and once he is able to eat that food it is important to maintain a diet
Healthy to help sustain weight loss.
Advantages of gastric sleeve surgery
The success rate of gastric sleeve surgery is about 85-90%.
Successful Revision Surgery After a long time with fail hairThank you very much for the wonderful job that you did for me.I think sometimes your work goes unnoticed. In spite of the fact that you do charge a fee for your services, I think that it is nice to give a genuine and warm thank you.
Turkish Experts Clinics do Great WorkI am sure the surgery will be a success and I do appreciate all of your consultation and words of wisdom along the way.Again, thank you for everything.
I start a new life with Turkish Experts ClinicsThis is not enough to repay you, but it’s a start – Thank You!I just wanted to say thanks for all the help and friendly service that all of you showed me while I was in your office.